This latest tip comes to you as a result of my recent perusal of various websites. Keep your content fresh! As things change within your business, make sure visitors to your website are kept in the loop. Here are a few important things to keep updated. Use this list as a starting point and add or tweak things as they pertain to your business.
- People. Whether you hired, fired, promoted, or made title changes, make sure the names on your site belong to people who actually are a part of your organization.
- Photos. You may love the photo of the company picnic from 1986, but if the group shot is full of big bangs and parachute pants, your customers might think twice about visiting your business.
- Business Hours/Schedules. If it’s 2020, please kindly remove your 2016 information. Unless for some reason, it’s used as a reference – then archive it. People are used to getting current information in a split second and will most likely leave your site if it’s too inconvenient to get the right info.
- News Items. Latest news, newsletters, monthly updates, etc. However you communicate your latest information, make sure it is exactly that – the latest. It’s good to have this information easily accessible from your home page, whether in your menu navigation or a visible link.
- Products/Services. If they’re no longer available, don’t make them available. If a popular item is temporarily out of stock, communicate when it will be available again.
- Coupons. Discount offers are a great thing – when they haven’t expired. If you have a time-sensitive coupon, remember to take it off your site or update it when it expires. This also goes for coupons offered on Google Local Business, Linked In, Facebook, and more.
If you are juggling a lot of information that’s kept in many different places, take some time to create a master chart. Start with a list of all of your communication pieces (website, brochures, signage, newsletters, etc.). Next, think about what info frequently changes (see list above). When an update needs to be made, you can see on your master sheet every place that particular information needs to be updated.
Remember, with a Worry-Free Website from Kalamazoo Web Design, all you need to do is send in a quick support request and we will take care of any updates* for you! We update your site quickly and correctly so you can focus on your business – not spending valuable time trying to remember where your website login information is and why your edits don’t look like you wanted them to look.
We’re your website partner and we love to help!
*As part of a monthly support plan.